Buy Me A Coffee

Buy me a coffeeBuy me a coffee

Friday, February 24, 2017

Gender reassignment from Texas' lieutenant governor

The lieutenant governor of the grand and glorious state of Texas just gave me a sex change. It came in a letter with a fancy gold seal and spiffy "state of Texas" watermark. Confused? So was I, a woman named Elizabeth, when I looked at the envelope and enclosed letter both addressed to "Mr. Eli J----."
Below is my initial Facebook response to Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick.
<<Lt. Gov. Patrick - This would almost be funny if it were not so sad. Your office just sent me a letter in response to a discussion I had with one of your aides about the grossly ill-advised "bathroom bill." I thought you did not like transgender people. So why did your office give me a postal sex change - addressing me as "Mr. Eli J-----?" Please explain this one, I am waiting. Did your office assume I was male because I have a voice and an opinion? Does it not occur to you that women stand up for people's rights? Are you simply wishing that all of us #nastywomen would just disappear? Seriously, I want an explanation. And my lady parts back. Thanks. Ms. ELizabeth J-----.
PS: Do I have to use the men's room now, 'cause ewww.>>
Yes, this is funny in a way, but it also illustrates the problem transgender people face - a government official overruling their decision about their gender identity. It is jarring for a person to be addressed as though they were the opposite gender. Those who are transgender have put considerable thought and heartache into deciding they are not comfortable with the gender "nature" assigned to them. Their choice should not be overruled.
This letter also shows a lack of listening. The man I talked with for a good 20 minutes had plenty of time to discern whether I was a rooster or a hen. There is no excuse for truncating my identity and erasing my womanhood. It is offensive and demeaning. Oh, it's just a clerical error, you say? No, things like this matter. Knowing who you are talking to matters.
I do have a followup response:
<<Dear Lt. Gov. Danielle Patricia,
Thank you for your letter of Feb. 22. It was a gift, allowing me to gain a momentary glimpse of what transgender people experience on a daily basis, the disjunction between who I am and how someone else might arbitrarily label me. I offer that back to you and hope it proves illuminating.
Your friend, Eli/zabeth>>

2 comments: